Goods & Services Tax had been introduced in the year 2017, new regulations have been introduced time and again which cover mandatory compliance as required under previous taxation regime. With one such amendment there had been the introduction of E- Way Bill in the GST regime, the complicated procedures had been simplified and streamlined over time
About E-Way Bill
E-way Bill is a document mandatorily to be generated over time only by the registered person every time on the E-way Bill portal to disclose the details of the goods transported for more than Rs. 50,000 whether within the state or outside the state. It shall contain details in two parts that are Part A which highlights details of the consignor, consignee or the other person as prescribed and Part B contains the transporter details.
Section 122 Read with Rule 138A/138E of the Central Goods & Services Act, 2017 as amended from time to time is applicable for regulating bill generations, modification, verification, cancellation and other allied matters related to E-way Bill.
The Vahan System
The Vahan system is an integrated solution under e-Governance which had been introduced by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways under the National Transport Project and is in effect in many states and Union Territories. This online system aims at providing services that are as follows:
- Vehicle Registration (New vehicle/ Renewal/Transfer of Ownership/Change of Address etc.)
- Issuance/Renewal of Interstate/National Permit
- Calculation & Payment of Taxes
- Issuance/Renewal of Fitness Certificate
- Issue of Challan
- Settlement of Penalty and challan
The portal can be accessed at https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/
Integration of EWB & Vahan System
With the linking of the E-way Bill generated with the Vahan System, it eases the process of transportation of goods and easy identification of the vehicle which is less time consuming and real-time integration of the vehicle details. The mandatory details of the E-Way Bill include the details about the vehicle in which the goods are to be or are being transported.
The assignment of the E-way Bill to different transporters can be made in Part B of E-Way Bill which will also need to be updated on the Vahan portal too under “Update Vehicle Number” under each such assignment.
The Integration of the E-Way Bill & Vahan system has been in effect from December 2019 and an official statement states that it will be rolled out on the national level from April 2020 onwards which means the E-way bill system integration with FASTag and LDB will soon be notified.
- The integration of different digital interfaces will smoothen the process for transporters and the consignors to make on-time delivery and save time.
- Such integration makes the vehicle number identifiable on the portal and the consignor, consignee or the recipient are able to track and update the details of the bill on the portal.
- Identification of Vehicle Number is necessary needs to be correct. If the case is where the Vehicle number is not valid/same the alert message will pop up. Simultaneous details are required to mention in the Vahan portal to enable the generation of e way bill on the portal. Hence, any details that are mentioned in the e way bill portal need to be first updated in the Vahan system.
- Real-time integration prevents the vehicle to take unauthorized consignments. Such steps curb the tax evasion practices.
Things to Know
- To add your vehicle details under Vahan System – The person needs to visit the nearest RTO with original RC documents.
- To check your vehicle details – The Vahan System provides a nationwide search bar of all registered vehicle details. You can also visit your vehicle number in Vahan system below: https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/user/searchstatus.xhtml
- Grievance related to Vehicle Details shown in the Vahan system but not in E Way Bill Portal – reach the E- way Bill helpdesk.
- The E-waybill can be generated at https://ewaybill.nic.in/ by sign in with Login ID and password.
Therefore, every registered taxpayer has to take advantage of the utility provided by the government to make sure e –way bill is generated and the proper documentation procedure has been followed to ensure compliance and transparency.
Need help in registrations & return filing?
Reach us at email@example.com