e Shram Portal
The Government of India has been continuously making efforts to improve the life and dignity of the labor force of the country. It has been working to protect and safeguard the interest of workers, promote welfare, and provide social security to them. The government has enacted and implemented various labor laws to regulate the terms and conditions of service and employment of workers.
Taking a step ahead, on 26/08/2021 an e Shram portal was launched by the Government for creating the National Database of Unorganized Workers (NDUW). It is the first-ever national database of Unorganized Workers which also includes migrant workers, construction workers, platform workers, domestic workers, street vendors, agricultural workers, etc. The portal is designed to provide ease of reporting in one place for various labor laws and consolidated information on labor inspection and enforcement.
The data on the e Shram portal is proposed to be shared with the Central Government Ministries as well as State/UT Governments, for which separate guidelines have been issued.
Objectives of e Shram Portal
- Creation of a centralized database of all unorganized workers
- Providing Social Security and Benefits to such workers
- Providing a database to Governments for handling any National Crisis in future
Meaning of Unorganized Worker
Any worker who is a home based-worker, self-employed worker, or a wage worker in the unorganized sector including a worker in the organized sector who is not a member of ESIC or EPFO or not a Govt. employee is called an Unorganised Worker.
Who can get registered?
Any unorganized worker between the age of 16-59 years and not a member of EPFO/ESIC or NPS (Govt . funded )
How to get registered?
Workers can register on the eShram portal by visiting the website register.eshram.gov.in and following the registration process. Users also get the option to update their profiles once registered.
Details required for registration
- Aadhaar number
- Mobile Number Linked to Aadhaar
- Saving Bank Account Number with IFSC code
The Ministry has taken several steps to increase registration on e-Shram by providing a multi-channel registration facility to unorganized workers across the country. CSC-SPV along with its more than 4 lakh Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) have been on board to provide registration facilities at the village level.
In States where CSC outreach is not prominent, State Sewa Kendras (SSKs) have been boarded to facilitate the registration of unorganized workers.
- Now beneficiaries can use UMANG mobile application to avail of on-the-go registration and updation facilities.UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is developed by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD) to drive Mobile Governance in India.
- Regular review meetings with CSC are being held to increase the pace of registration.
- IEC (Information, Education, and Communication) funds have also been released to the states so that they can plan activities promoting more registrations.
- Registration camps and drives are being organized by the Ministry from time to time to mobilize workers in the unorganized sector for registering on e-Shram.
On registration, a 12 digits UAN (Unique Account Number), is assigned to each worker. This UAN will be valid for a lifetime.
This portal also provides helpdesk support to the shramiks through a toll-free number 14434, with the option to converse in multiple languages. Workers can also raise their queries on email@example.com and get the problems solved.
The government has widened the scope of e shram portal as it will now include the details of families of unorganized workers. This will help in providing child education and women-centric schemes to the migrant workers who have migrated with their families. The mapping of different schemes data with eShram data is being done, to identify the eShram registrants who have not yet received the benefits of these schemes.
288.7 million workers have been registered on the portal till now. During the Covid 19 crisis, there was no accurate data on unorganized workers and thus many of them remained deprived of the benefits provided by the governments. This e-portal will help include the ones, who were not included earlier and give them equal opportunities and benefits.
Need more understanding on e shram or any other labor law compliances?
Feel free to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org